Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Knochnashae et al.

Hiya!

It has been an exciting couple of days since my last posting. More wwoofers have arrived, one Sarah and Hannah, who're sisters from Michigan. They are a friendly chatty bunch and have livened things up a bit. But all the commotion and supervision seems to be overwhelming Jean and Peter. They call me "Hannah 1" and have me teach the others what I've learned. They are about my age and Sarah will be attending MIT next year for orgo chem. We went to similar undergrad schools, except they both live very near home and dont really know what its like to not have family around. We have been helped by Niall, who is a grand Irish lad, and keeps us informed on the goings on. He brought us out to Mickey Mac's pub on Saturday night with some of his friends and girlfriend, and we enjoyed Guinness and DJed pop music. Its kind of a shame that I haven't experienced more Irish trad., but I hope to in N. Ireland.
Getting much better with driving the tractor, Peter lets me run it myself, especially as the other girls dont drive stick. Weve been laying concrete (a familiar substance for me) for a duck pond, and its just worn Peter out. Sad. Jean told me recently, privately, that he has many heart conditions and cancer. I feel extra guilty when he over-exerts.
Been eating plenty of meat, like you wouldn't believe! Steak and lamb chops and good ole shepard's pie. yummmm. We've hiked in awful downpoured rain up Hill of the Fairies, and biked around to Cloonacool, when one of the bike chains broke and we all had to walk home. But I'm enjoying the lifestyle, and its nice to have younger company! Can't wait to get out and play some music and see other parts of the country though.
lots of love, cheers!

3 comments:

  1. Your trip sounds fantastic! Keep an eye out for things I should do in your footsteps...I'm up for anything that has to do with food systems. And I'm planning on reading your blog religiously :).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Hannie....you're daddy's tractor driving, concrete laying, metal welding little girl. We miss you but it sounds like you're having a great time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. a grand irish lad eh... we're getting closer to the man of your dreams

    ReplyDelete