Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Final Day in Omagh

After biking seven miles to Newtownstewart to see the parades for "Orange Fest", I walked around to see the kilted pipe/flute/accordian bands followed by orange-sashed Irishmen march into sporting fields. Representatives from the Presbyterian Church spoke and lead everyone in the UK national anthem. Ice cream and hot dog stands fed the crowds while tents serving tea quenched everyone's thirst. Only a slight bit of rain interrupted the ceremony. The bands marched out of the fields and back through the one-street town. Celebration in the streets followed, but as it was nearing 7pm and I had an hour bike home, I figured I better skip out on the pub entertainment. Especially to avoid any potential danger from "Republicans".

Good thing I went straight home because Marella's english friend, Katie, invited us over for an evening of music in their entirely recycled-home. Katie's 20-year-old english nephew, Patrick was visiting and hoped to interact with another young person. Between his juggling/card trick skills, my fiddling, Katie and John's musical instruments, the evening turned out to be a whole lot of craic lasting until 1:30am. I finished half a bottle of wine and Marella and Katie each polished off four Bush whiskey's! Whew! I also discussed music and religion with John.

Returning home Marella informed me that we would be leaving early in the morning and that I needed to be ready by 10am. I dashed to gather my things and write in their "wwoofer notebook".

The morning was sunny and warm, but I felt exhausted from the night before. Both Marella and I needed a double shot of espresso on the ride into Dublin.

My last night in Ireland was spent with the lovely Julie Refkin, who took me to Mess. Maguire's near O'Connell st. in pouring rain. We drank Guinnesses and I ordered potato pancakes. They don't compare to those at The Old Toad in Rochester, but not too bad for Irish food. Julie thinks the upstairs provides a great spot to watch the St Patrick's day parades.

Tomorrow morning I'll catch an early bus and fly home. Though I'll miss the accomodating strangers, the charming accents, and all my new friends, it will be so great to be home.

Good night all. See you in the States! Cheers, Slainte, and Good onya! This is Hannefrogs signing out.

No comments:

Post a Comment